February 13, 2007

Parties, pliers and pus

Walking - completed the skyline walk in two and a half hours, which was half an hour less than Neil and I the first time around. At one stage I was passed by another Oxfam team kitted out with walking poles and French foreign legion hats, and by an endurance athlete dude wearing nothing but a pair of teensy lycra shorts and a belt loaded with grenade-like bottles of energy drink. He wasn't even wearing hair or fat. I got a rather nasty second blister on an old blister on my heel walking home from work last night that oozed nasty things when I lanced it. My flatmate Bramwell would have loved it. Tonight I'm going to do a bit of the town belt near home with a head torch to get the hang of walking at night.

Crafting - Craftwerk is on Thursday (5-9pm at the Southern Cross, bring cash) and I've almost got everything made that I want to sell. If I do say so myself, I am an earring genius. The things I can do with pliers and red beads take my breath away. I also made Bramwell a necklace with two floating layers of green recycled beads for her to wear on her TV show provisionally titled 'Nail the Bastards'. It's like Fair Go, but with a small, feisty Bramwell mountain biking and snorkelling while she presents the stories. She's so pre-famous.

Work - It's a tough job but somebody has to do it - I 'worked' on Sunday by going to a street party that the residents of Picton Ave, Newtown put on. I've been working on a story about a random Wellington street, and chose Picton Ave which I used to live near back in 1999/2000. I suggested to the Samoan ladies at number three that we have a street party, mainly so we could get some good pictures of everyone, and mentioned it again to Chris at number 12, and voila - a street party was born. It was blazing sunny with grandkids and kids and sausages and a rugby ball and sun loungers and leis and tomato sauce and Fat Freddy's Drop and we all had name tags. I wish I could post some of the pictures that the Dompost took that day, but they're copyright and I'd get a growling. The story will be in the Long Weekend section on February 24. It won't win me any Qantas awards, but I met some nice people that I wouldn't have met in my non-journo life, including a dog with a middle name, and I'm expecting there will be street parties galore as everyone gets inspired with community spirit. Yes, journalism can change the world.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

I'm going to Craftwerk on Thursday! If you see me, please say hi.

aka Special K said...

Ok, you do the same. I haven't worked out how I am going to brand any of my stuff, but if you see a table with a red cloth and a tree mug and lotsa pretty jewels sitting in crown lyn plates and bowls, you've found me. K x

melissa said...

good luck for craftwerk! wish i was going too.
don't street parties just make you happy? We had one a month or so ago, it was great.

Homeperm said...

oh my GOD. i basically live around the corner from picton ave. i wish i'd known before now. i would have snuck into one of the photos. my ultimate aim is to get in the dom post society pages but a street party is at least as good. it sounds AWESOME.

Joanna said...

I didn't see you last night! Truth to be told I had too many glasses of rose and forgot to look. But I did buy a Mary-Kate & Ashley locket...

aka Special K said...

That's cos I weren't there last night - I had a bit of a work/life emergency and couldn't get out of here. Just means more to sell at Crafit 2.0 I guess.