March 13, 2007

I would have read it, but ...

Following on from the 100 books the UK can't live without, this list was in the paper this morning - the 10 books you're least likely to finish.
They are:
1. Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre
2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling
3. Ulysses - James Joyce
4. Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernieres
5. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
6. The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
7. The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
8. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
9. The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
10. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky (I am proud to say despite falling asleep almost as soon as I picked it up each night, I knocked the bastard off and it was worth it.)

I have struggled and failed to make it through The Famished Road (not another freakin' ghost, mosquito coil, sad thing happening, etc), Midnight's Children (I tried at least three times, I know the opening page almost verbatim), Possession (who cares?) and although I have had a copy of The Rainbow since I was 16, I've never made it past the first page where the Brangwen women look up from the gray soil to the gray sky and beyond the gray church ... I also gave up on Mao the Untold Story after a gzillion pages, because it made me so mad/sad/outraged and gave me RSI in my wrist (have you seen how big that book is??)

On the non-fiction list of 10 books you're least likely to finish were some real surprises - My Side by David Beckham, I Can Make You Thin by Paul McKenna, and Jade: My Autobiography by Jade Goody. Who would have thunk it?

4 comments:

claired said...

someone raved, and I mean raved to me about Paul Coelho's The Alchemist. I read it in amazement, how could anyone possibly rave about such a banal piece of drivel.......each to their own huh! I suppose I could have put it down and left it, but I just can't do that with books, I have to see them thru to the bitter end.

Reading The Memory Keepers Daughter at the mo' quite enjoying it acutally.....anything rather than study!

x

Randominanity said...

Read and finished 6 of them, though I'll admit I did struggle with Fyodor. As for the other 4, I've not got round to even considering reading them yet.

If I could I'd add Gore Vidal's novel "Lincoln" to the list.

Chris said...

i can't believe The God of Small Things is on that list ... obviously written by some kind of moron. That's the best book ever written.

actually.

Homeperm said...

that list affirms me. i have had vernon g. l. on my bedside table for over six months. something very similar happened to crime and punishment, except replace six months with six years. in both cases i managed to read the first hundred pages. or maybe a bit less.