April 05, 2007

Sweet sixteen

A friend sent this picture of me and two school pals Larn Wilkinson (on whom I had rather a large crush and sat next to in English sometimes, hee) and Irene Yardley, one of my oldest friends. I'm the goober in the middle. This picture was in the South Waikato News in 1989 because we had won a competition making an advertisement for Tokoroa. I love the headline "Tokoroa Magic!" The idea was to have a champagne bottle pouring out all the cool things about Tok into the glass. Things like the skanky made-man lake, a bit of reserve in a gully, etc. I don't know why Larn is holding a camera. Last time I heard anything about him he was a bushman in Tokoroa, while Irene now lives in Germany with her German husband and two kids. Irene and I knew each other for yonks - her mum also taught at Tok High with my parents, and they used to play very smokey long games of bridge on Saturday nights.

6 comments:

rhiannon said...

oh! that is just precious!
And you look completely adorable.
I love old photographs!
(also there is no way you're that much older than me? surely? I would never have guessed, it seems everyone is older than me. it's not fair!)
and is it just me or is the tokoroa high school website waay flash for a small town school site?

Chris said...

you look, like, so turtilly gay.

melissa said...

heehee! thank you for that link- that is brilliant! you guys look so cool in an 80's sort of way.

aka Special K said...

Yes, I am older than you R, I'm a sterling 34 years old. Way too old to be renting and childless and wearing trainers to work. I saw a girl walking to uni this morning with a Nirvana T-shirt on and I thought how she was just a baby when I was moshing to Smells Like Teen Spirit.

And M, we were sooo not cool. The next year, when I was in 7th form, I took to teasing that scraggly fringe within and inch of it's life, and wore Dr Scholl sandals. What was I thinking???

Kimberlee + Lies said...

teased hair is a right of passage if you went to high school in the 80s. I had several perms as a child which makes me smile, what was my mother thinking letting me go through that smelly chemical process at the tender age of 9? we all had hair brain block in the 80s.

thanks for sharing the photo and a belated 'well done' for your hard work on Tokoroa Magic!
-kimberlee

Claire said...

Fantastic Kimpy!! I think I remember that photo in the year book... and Larn... what a hottie. I think us girls in 5th form had major crushes on him... ooo I wonder if he is still as hot??... hmmm... a bushman huh, nice biceps... tan...