May 02, 2008

Much craftiness


I am pleased to report I have overcome my fear of sewing machines. It was a fear I didn't even know I had until I borrowed this beast from my pal Ange Lee (not my sister Ange) to sew up some receiving blankets for the kid. When I was 11 or 12, I nicked my thumb on a sewing machine needle in sewing class, and it happened to be the same day Lisa and I were pulled out of class to have our rubella shots. Then as the Elnita sat on my dining room table, I just felt so scared of it! Crazy! But anyhoo, I've sewn up one receiving blanket and will do another one this afternoon. Ange L and I are starting actual dressmaking lessons at Wellington High on Monday and I'm glad I overcame the fear before going. Now I can't wait to see what things we're going to learn, and I'll start scouring op shops for fabric like my favourite crafters Tiny Happy, Anemone, Stripy Sock Studio and Toast & Cupcakes. No pillowcase will be safe with me around. I'm even going to buy a sewing machine on trade me. *squeal* Any recommendations?
At craft night last night I finished a project that's been hanging around for a while - the purple cardigan in merino that I started late last year. The top picture is a better indication of the colour, it's really dark. The wool is beautiful to knit with, but when I got to the neckband I just panicked and the Postie's mum had to bail me out. But now it's done and the kid isn't too big for it, so I consider it a complete and utter craft victory.

Last night I also made a start on a jersey for when the kid is 9 months old (or thereabouts) in red double knit that I've had hanging around in my craft drawer for a couple of years. I'm just a bit concerned the colours are a little girly - or perhaps just the lilac buttons are girly? Perhaps all red buttons would be better? I have six months to finish it, so here's hoping I don't panic at the neckband stage again...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bramwell said...

wow - you are getting spammed on your blog. you've entered the crayzee-sphere ....

BERNINA

Josie said...

Thats a sweet looking jersey - wish i could knit (my dad used to say i could knit good holes!! ha ha)

Mel Archer said...

I agree about the jumper - what's the pattern?

Nicki Natter said...

Great jumper! I have pulled out some knitting needles to knit a beanie for Beth I just hope she isn't 12 by the time I finish.

Beth Up North said...

Beautiful work. Maybe blue buttons for the red jumper. Alex has a "sweater" knit by my sister that is red and blue (with yellow buttons) that is all boy. Of course the Dump Truck knit into it is rather boyish :o) too. I admire your knitting, I am all thumbs and holes. I can have Kevin send you some machine advice...don't know if it would hold with your available brands but we can try. I totally understand the sewing machine phobia, rock on with overcoming it.

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Weeee - Look at you! All knitty and stuff!

Well done on finishing the cardi - it looks fab. I have had that other pattern on my ravelry queue for a trillion years. Must do it.

Have fun at the sewing classes. I wanna enrol too!

emily said...

Hi there,
I LOVE both these patterns - the cardigan and the jumper. Would you mind telling me what they are/where they're from?

Thanks